Original First National Bank Building
Prior to 1906, a small, wood-frame shop on this site housed Smith & Haynes Barbers. The wood structure was replaced by a brick one in 1909, making it the Historic District’s oldest surviving building. Briefly, this building was home to Commercial Bank, and then the original First National Bank. The bank then constructed a new building next door, to the north. A variety of businesses, including candy and cigar stores, a shoe store and restaurants have operated here. The original, intricately painted, bank-vault door has remained in place throughout this building’s history. Brick cornices, supported by brick dentil, accent the roofline. Large, glazed tiles depict pastoral scenes on the front plinths. Intricate tile work on the entryway floors, and a well-preserved tile floor inside, highlight early twentieth century decor. Of special interest is the Wan or Falun design. In many ancient cultures, the Wan, Sathio or Swastika symbolized good luck, fortune and plenty. In India, the designs are used to mark good-will offerings, the opening pages of account books, thresholds and doors.