Rupert Bowling Court
Roy W. Adams received transfer of the land title from the public domain on August 31, 1907, by a special act of Congress. Photographs from 1906 and 1907 show two small frame structures on this lot. The south structure was a “Photo Gallery.” A 1917 photograph reveals the buildings were gone and the lot was vacant. The 1921 Sanborn Map shows this brick structure had been built. It had an office supply business and barber shop in front and an electric refrigeration and battery recharge business in back. It was connected by an ell in back to the garage on the two lots to the south. Around 1935, Bob Carlson put in a bowling alley, with a few lanes for “Duckpins.” The whole family could enjoy duckpins. The pins were 9.4 inches tall, and the 5-inch, 3.75 lb. ball had no finger holes, and was easily handled by children. A late 1930s photograph shows The Rupert Bowling Court in this building. The “bowling alley,” complete with a lunch counter, fountain and generous pinball machines, was a very popular teen lunchtime hangout in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The Radio and Service Center operated here during the late 1950s through the late 1960s. It was a treat for little children to see the statue of the spotted white dog sitting on the sidewalk with it's head cocked “Listening to his Master’s Voice” advertising RCA Victor brand TVs, radios and stereos. All three buildings were remodeled into one business prior to 1983, becoming The Showkase Place, selling high-quality furniture and appliances.